Catherine Harwicke Speaks RobSten Again


From Time.com. It's Twilight in America by Bryan Alexander.
This is the part with Catherine Hardwicke's interview
"Edward wasn't that easy. "The bar is so high," Hardwicke says. "Every two pages there's a comment about how gorgeous he is ... I met all of these guys I felt were quite good, but they didn't have that special other quality that they were alive for 105 years." She took Robert Pattinson and three other actors to her house in Venice, Calif., to run lines with Kristen. They played the biology-class scene in the dining room. They moved the cars out of the garage and did the "How long have you been 17?" scene there. Then they did the kissing scene on Hardwicke's bed. "I played it like a guy who is beating himself up a lot about everything," Pattinson says. "I don't think anyone else did it like that. I guess I tried to ignore every aspect of the confident hero of the story." It worked. Stewart and Hardwicke were sold.

Selling Pattinson to Summit was tougher. He wasn't a star--his biggest role was Cedric Diggory in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire--and he didn't look like a star. "He was disheveled," Hardwicke says. "He was a different weight. His hair was different and dyed black [he had just played Salvador DalĂ­ in Little Ashes]. He was all sloppy. The studio head said, 'You want to cast this guy as Edward Cullen?' I said yeah. And he said, 'Do you think you can make him look good?' I said yes, I do."

By all accounts, the chemistry between the two leads was intense, maybe too intense. "After I cast him, I told Rob, Don't even think about having a romance with her," Hardwicke says. "She's under 18. You will be arrested." It was the beginning of the real-life are-they-aren't-they, did-they-didn't-they speculation that is now an ongoing subplot of the Twilight story. "I didn't have a camera in the hotel room. I cannot say," Hardwicke says. "But in terms of what Kristen told me directly, it didn't happen on the first movie. Nothing crossed the line while on the first film. I think it took a long time for Kristen to realize, O.K., I've got to give this a go and really try to be with this person."
Is this the start of the RobSten spills. Would there be more? lol