New Moon Score: Mark Morton Interviews Alexandre Desplat

Exclusive Interview: Waxing NEW MOON with Oscar-nominated composer Alexandre Desplat.
By The Examiner's Mark Morton

Here are excerpts of the interview,
Did you listen to Carter Burwell’s score for the first Twilight film when you accepted New Moon?
No, not only did I not listen to it, but I didn’t even watch the movie. I didn’t want to be influenced by it. Carter is a great composer and I loved his scores for the Coen Brothers. And I knew that if I went there, I would be in danger, because I knew that I would enjoy it and then be influenced by it. So I just passed and avoided it altogether.

I loved that even the tenderest moments in the score have a sense of danger and uneasiness, like each turn plunges you deeper into the unknown. Even the track “Marry Me, Bella” has a great sense of apprehension to it.
Yes, definitely. There are many moments in the film where you have to feel unsettled emotions. She has to choose between two men and doesn’t know how to make the choice. I actually used that element to blur the two love themes – the one for Edward and the one for Jacob. But they are of the same vein, so as you are watching and listening, are you hearing Edward’s or Jacob’s? I love to put these subliminal tricks into the score just for the fun of it.

To read the complete interview click here


Marry Me Bella at 4:53