Rob's Interview with JetSet Mag -France

Rob with interviewer Ramzy Malouki

I must confess. I didn’t like Robert Pattinson. And today I wish I had stood back. When Twilight was released and we saw that 10,000 people were camping in front of the movie theater of Los Angeles where the premiere was taking place , our first reaction as journalist was : “But why are they enjoying this saga ?”

When Pattinson had arrived a few hours later , he was so overwhelmed that he quickly disappeared. Just a few words to the media . We had thus concluded that this guy was big headed . It was a huge mistake. In fact , Pattinson is a real shy guy . Moreover , he is English , so he is a phlegmatic shy person. And when we chatted with him , for the release of Eclipse , I realized that he didn’t expect such a phenomenon that night at the Twilight premiere . Robert Pattinson is only 24 and nowadays , he is the most desired bachelor of the world. . And trust me , he still can’t cope with his fame . So he stays at home , never goes out at night and when he’s not playing this 107 years old virgin vampire, he chooses interesting roles in interesting films . But let’s focus today on Eclipse because it’s been released all around the world , I hope you will forgive me for this easy play on words . Here is “Interview with a vampire”

R.M. : Since you’re English, you must have followed the FIFA world cup . Why do you think this event is so important in the world?

R.P. : The english team is always a good one , we always have the best players and no one is supposed to play better than us , but everytime , it’s not enough to win
I don’t know why football is so important and why it gathers so many people. Maybe because it’s easy to understand this sport . The more a sport attracts people ; the more popular it’ll be , that’s why I never understood why football isn’t so popular in the USA . It’s incredible to see such a huge and rich country unable to have a good football team . I must say they improve and thay have a great football team now.

R.M. : You’re only 24 and you’re on the spotlights , is it difficult not to make mistakes?
R.P. : Yes , it’s always frustrating and people always expect me to do some mistakes to pounce on me. But I like being imperfect. We can’t always look perfect and sell such an image. It’s impossible. Anyway, I never tried to do so , it’d be dangerous . And I’ve always made a million mistakes (laughs…)




R.M. : and if you did a film which happens to be a failure ?
R.P. : as long as I’m making a film for good reasons , and not money ,it’ll be OK . If I decide to do a film just for money , there’ll be problems. Nothing can be good if you do it for money or for fame . If we choose to do a film because we think it’s a good story, then even if it’s a failure, I don’t mind. I’ve never been attracted by money or fame . My desires are quite limited, so I guess it’ll be OK!

R.M. : Your upcoming film is Bel Ami , an adaption of Maupassant’s novel . You also played Salvador Dali and then you did Twilight.These aren’t classical choices
R.P. : I never thought about what I wanted to do . And when you’re not famous , we can do independent films , more artistic films . And you have to be lucky to do it ! Then when I did Twilight, I didn’t expect that success . First because it was directed by Catherine Hardwicke who comes from the independent cinema industry. And then because Kristen Stewart was cast . She had only done independent films . I thought it’d be a simple love story with vampires and that maybe it’d become a strange remembered film . Obviously , it became this huge phenomenon and no one had predicted it. Once you’re in it , you have to surf on the success wave ! I won’t complain to be in a successful film !

R.M. : You told us you don’t do films for money , but due to the success of Twilight, did you take part to the negotiations?
R.P. : In a way , I did . But it’s my manager and my agent who deal with it . My only wish is to go on working . The other aspects bother me. And I don’t think about money when I do films one after the other . It’s what I enjoy . Before Twilight, I did a tiny film “Little Ashes”. There was no budget and above all no money for me but it allowed me to live 4 months in Barcelona, just for this film. It was awesome ! Except that , my life is the same , I always do the same things . So there aren’t so many difference between the past and the present

R.M. : You play the guitar and you had a group . Is music important for you ?

R.P. : It’s very important and I think being an actor helped me for my music. In the past, I wasn’t interested in music . My sister who is a singer introduced me to this world . This indutry is much more difficult thant the film industry. You’re not really respected when you’re an actor , but when you shoot a film , in the end you’re paid . In the music industry , you’re constantly asked to improve yourself . You work again on your music and once it’s done, you’re not paid !The only reason I started doing music and trying to record albums, it’s because I’m a bit famous , and it’d perhaps help me playing with famous artists .Once you’re famous as an actor, doors are open for music . So I hope I could record some songs , but just for me .If it’s for money , it’s useless . And I consider that if you earn money no one can listen to you until it’s over , nobody can judge you either

R.M. : What can you tell us about Breaking Dawn.
R.P. :Bill Condon is going to direct it , but I haven’t read the script yet . It’ll be 2 different films . I confess I’m a bit afraid that this franchise is going to end . It’s a safety net which enables us to make some mistakes in these films beause we know there’ll always be another one .But once it’s over , it’s over ! I’m glad we shoot the films one after the other . I used to try to shoot a film in between Twilight films . For Eclipse, I had to embody Edward again in one week , and it was hard . One week preparation, it wasn’t easy and I was stressed at the beginning. So for the next installements, I could be Edward during the shooting of both films

R.M. : Speaking about Edward, he’s a 107 years old virgin vampire ?
R.P. : (Laughs ) How old is he ? I think he’s 109 or 110…

R.M. : And he never had sexual relationship before?

R.P. : I think he had an adventure with another vampire, in Alaska, but it’s not mentionned ! (laughs) In the first book , it’s briefly alluded to but I don’t remember it well . I don’t think it’s clearly explained . Fans enjoy thinking he’s still a virgin !

jetsetmag.net/spunk_ransom/Translation