Kristen's Interview with Istoe Gente (Brazil)

Photobucket

Istoe Gente Updated with Better Translation. Thanks to  @BraGirl2

 In Twilight, it's only on the penultimate movie that the leading couple had a romantic sex scene. But Kristen Stewart, the performer of the delicate heroine of the vampire saga, says: "I see actresses do ridiculous fake sex scenes in movies and then declare that they felt safe on set." At 22 years old and as the highest-paid actress in Hollywood between May 2011 and 2012, earning $ 34.5 million according to Forbes magazine, Kristen says it was says with a fearless attitude to nudity that she starred On the Road, which premieres in Brazil on July 13.

 In Walter Salles' movie she plays Marylou, free-spirited young woman who becomes the lover of two friends who cross roads of the United States in an existential journey. "I would have joined these two guys, for sure," says Kristen, adding that she read Jack Kerouac's book as an adolescent, and that she admires people with libertarian attitudes. Off screen, however, she has a life within the rules and maintains a secretive romance with Robert Pattinson, her partner in Twilight.

How would you describe the experience of working in On the Road? 
K: It was the greatest experience I had doing movies. I wasn't part of the entire filming trip, but I went to Montreal to join the team and prepare. Then I went to New Orleans, Phoenix and San Francisco. Then I came home and made another Twilight movie. What was strange, because I wanted to go back to that experience with Walter (Salles), which was discontinued. I had no time to think about what had happened in those weeks on the road. What, in fact, closely resembles the experience of my character.

Were you afraid of doing the sex scenes? 
K: On the contrary, I wanted to do the sex scenes. I like movies that test my limits. It's a way to challenge myself, to leave the comfort zone. I confess that I lived more interesting experiences during those four weeks of filming on the road than in my normal life. The sequences of nudity among the characters are discreet and did not show genitals.

Did that make you more comfortable? 
K: I see actresses do ridiculous fake sex scenes in movies and then declare that they felt safe on the set. In most cases, the sequences seem fake, you can see that they are using skin color strips to cover their breasts. I didn't want to feel safe. It' much more interesting to see genuine sex scenes than something we realize that it's fake. I always wanted to be as close as possible to actual experience.



Was Kerouac's book already familiar to you? 
K: I first read it when I was 15 or something. It was my first favorite book because it opened so many doors in my head. It really lit a fire inside of me, inspired me to want that feeling to see or hear new things, things you want and go after. I liked the style of the text, but also the roller-coaster style of the narrative, the sense of freedom that the characters show.

It was common for women of your generation to read On the Road in adolescence? 
K: Definitely not! There were many people who came to me and said: "how come a modern girl like you is reading a book about people who were young in the 40's and 50's?"Or: "how do you, a contemporary girl, can relate to a young girl from back then?" We always want to know where we came from. So it was a matter of having contact with my roots, with characters that inspire me in life. And these two guys with whom she shared important youth moments, I would have joined them, for sure.

What do you admire in Walter Salles? 
K: Walter makes things happen. One of the strangest things about it is that at the end of a rehearsal, the shooting of a take, or a day's work, he takes no credit for anything because it happened to you. It is rare to find someone like that. Walter has this very particular ability to bring people together. I know this is the purpose of any good director, but I never felt so motivated by another person the way I felt with him. I would do anything for that guy. This is his power. For some reason, you want to follow him wherever he goes.


How do you deal with harassment from fans of the Twilight saga? This type of fan still bother you?
K: I don't know ... I don't think about it much. The fact is that I could share the experience of those movies with millions of people worldwide. It's crazy, I know, but it is a unique experience that probably will never be repeated. It's crazy, weird and wonderful thing to share the same energy with so many different people. I don't know how these people will see me after the saga ends.


Low budget movies, such as On the Road, are a way to distance yourself from the image of heroin from blockbusters such as Twilight and Snow White and the Huntsman? 
K: It's nice to offer something new to the public, to diversify the audience's perception of you. But I love Twilight, I'm very proud of the saga. I see it as a great compliment when a fan says he can not see me in another kind of movie. I know I'll always be remembered as Twilight's Bella. And it's not a bad thing. There is room for all kinds of work. I like small movies as well. I don't see Snow White and the Huntsman as a movie that show's that I can do something different from Twilight.


Are you religious as the Snow White movie? 
K: I'm not religious. But I talk to myself. There are times when I play certain events as signs when I'm about to do something important and I don't know what the outcome, for example. In those days, when something trivial goes wrong, like dropping something on the floor, I curse and I have the distinct impression that I will have a horrible day (laughs). Talking to myself is a way to put positive energy in the world. I'm obsessed with it, with not spoiling a situation. I think that's what Snow White does with her prayers.

 via @Vonch